2016-17 Designing and Facilitating Meetings for Equity Calendar
- January 18-19, 2017 | Oakland, CA | Please note date change!
- June 19-20, 2017 | Oakland, CA
How do I design agendas that help people do their best work and learning together?
How do I create the conditions necessary to have hard conversations about equity issues?
How can I help my group become a motivated team that is committed to the work they are doing together?
What do I do when my group feels “stuck” or when strong emotions arise during conversations about equity?
Designing and Facilitating Meetings for Equity offers essential knowledge and skills for setting the conditions necessary for effective discussion and collaboration focused on equity work, as well as facilitation skills to support you to respond to the particular dynamics of the group you are working with.
When planning adult learning, it’s essential to design an experience people will go through together that moves beyond a series of tasks or items to address. This is particularly true when guiding a group through conversations focused on issues of equity or other emotionally-charged challenges you face in your work together.
Designing the agenda and planning the activities is a crucial foundation for productive collaboration – but even the best plans can be sidelined by participant anxieties or volatile emotions that create unproductive group dynamics. Facilitating the particular dynamics of any group is complex, challenging work – especially when guiding people through discussions and work focused on equity issues.
This 2-day Institute will provide an opportunity to learn about and practice applying strategies and structures that support productive meetings that encourage full participation and engagement. We will also help you to understand what’s underneath the challenges your group is facing and learn facilitation skills that can create a team with greater agency and effectiveness.
- Experience a powerful model of effective adult learning, and learn how to design a similar experience in your own context
- Gain new knowledge and frameworks for agenda design, “whole person learning,” cultivating a positive group dynamic and developing effective teams
- Learn about the neuroscience of emotion to help you predict and respond to strong emotions in the group, especially when addressing equity issues
- Learn new strategies, get new tools (e.g. agenda templates, meeting activities, facilitation tips) and plan how to use them in your context.
Who Should Attend
Directors, Managers, Coaches, Teacher Leaders, and anyone responsible for guiding people to collaborate effectively together.
Readings & Resources
“I am so surprised that by the end of the day I could write an agenda that is better than 99% of the meetings I’ve attended or facilitated. Each piece of the day was thoughtfully crafted to lead me to that great moment.” – Elizabeth Little, Math for America
“As an outcomes-oriented person, this framework helps me to be attentive and intentional about the experiences I am designing as a leader. I loved the sheer volume of practices and engagement of the day’s session.” – Caroline Mar, San Francisco Unified School District
$700/participant; includes breakfast, lunch and a resource book.
- January 18-19, 2017 | Oakland, CA | $700 | Please note date change!
- June 19-20, 2017 | Oakland, CA | $700
For questions about registration please contact Dana Fitchett at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We can also custom deliver this Institute for your organization, email sgray (at) nationalequityproject.org for more information.