New dates coming soon.
How can I help teachers be more successful with their struggling students?
What coaching strategies can help me assess what a teacher needs most to help them actually change their practice?
How do I help teachers trust and feel supported by me?
The role of the Instructional Coach goes beyond sharing good strategies; it’s about supporting teachers to think differently about what’s happening in their classroom so they can take new actions. Many instructional coaches found great success as classroom teachers but struggle when coaching teachers to make dramatic changes in their practice, especially when focused on students who have had a history of failure in school.
This seminar will introduce you to core skills that National Equity Project coaches have employed over the past 20 years, specifically targeted on essential skills for instructional coaches.
- Learn how to support teachers to shift their thinking about students they are challenged by in order to effectively teach every student.
- Practice using different coaching interventions, e.g. when to suggest ideas, when to challenge or provoke, and when to listen.
- Use a neuroscience framework to understand teachers’ emotional triggers (both in the classroom and in coaching sessions).
Who Should Attend
Instructional coaches and managers or conveners of instructional coaches. Also beneficial for principals and other instructional leaders.
Readings & Resources
- Sample Agenda
- Instructional Coaching: Beyond Best Practices
- Instructional Coaching for Equity: Starting the School Year Right
“Instructional Coaching for Equity gave me names for things I have been doing intuitively, and a set of new tools and frameworks to take my coaching to the next level of effectiveness. Incredibly useful!” – Kate Reedy, Educurious
“Without cliche or exaggeration, this professional learning opportunity was among the best I’ve ever attended… correction, among the best I’ve ever engaged in (it wasn’t passive learning).” – Jessica Progulske, Sonoma County Office of Education
All of our professional learning opportunities can be custom delivered for your organization. Contact Colm Davis at cdavis (at) nationalequityproject.org to discuss a possible partnership.