We will offer a Leading for Equity Institute in the Denver area on April 15-18, 2020. Registration opens soon – sign up for our newsletter to learn more.
The Leading For Equity™ Institute is our signature service, offered as both an annual residential experience and to our partners as part of a greater engagement. We work with leaders (both formal and informal) to develop their capacity to foster positive change on behalf of historically under-served students and families.
Leading for Equity is an experiential institute providing ample opportunities for sharing, reflection, and planning to inform your current work. We develop individual and collective leadership at every level of schools, districts, foundations or nonprofit organizations. Teams deepen their commitment, relationships, and efficacy while developing strategies toward equity goals. Teams receive expert, caring guidance and facilitation to work together to address the personal and technical challenges they face in their educational equity efforts.
Learn & Examine
- The effects of racism and other bias on education policies and practices
- Individual and organizational dynamics that impede the success of change efforts
- How to improve collaborative relationships and build teams and alliances in diverse settings
- Concrete skills for leading change in challenging contexts toward your current equity goals
- The importance of emotional intelligence and trust in leading equity efforts
- Research, tools, and other resources for equity-focused leadership and team development.
Who Should Attend
- School and district teams working on equity or “achievement gap” initiatives
- Teams from philanthropic foundations working to improve racial equity
- Regional equity initiatives involving cross-sector partnerships
Thousands of educators and community leaders have participated in Leading for Equity since 2002. Over 90% of Leading for Equity participants agree that they are better able to:
- Work more effectively with colleagues from different racial or cultural backgrounds
- Raise and discuss issues of equity with their colleagues
- Make personal and organizational changes to address social and racial inequities
“I am full of gratitude to you all in your facilitation of this event. I know I say it over and over, but without your organization and the work you’ve shared with me for the past 10 years I’d not be here today. I am left with a feeling of hope for this work, I leave feeling refueled, and for this I am profoundly grateful. Thank you for leading me on this journey.” – Jennifer Garcia, Principal, Aspire Centennial College Prep
“I feel that the Leading for Equity Institute really helped me build positive relationships with my colleagues. If I was to take back nothing else but that, I would be satisfied. However, I also learned a lot about being honest with myself and open to others and that is extremely valuable to me.” -Danielle Diego, Teacher, San Pedro Elementary
“The LFE Institute has provided me a renewed sense of purpose in and for my work. It has given me some great tools to help advance the work of racial equity as an individual in my community, and organization. I really appreciate and enjoyed the structure and balance in both facilitation and activities.” – Carla Little, Program Specialist, W.K. Kellogg Foundation
Resources & Readings
- Sample Leading for Equity Agenda
- The Courageous Pause: Reflection on Leading for Equity
- Read more testimonials from recent LFE participants
Important Lodging Information
Participants will be lodged in shared double rooms with separate beds with another member of their team or, occasionally, a member of a different team. We prepare rooming lists based on pronouns shared at the time of registration. If you have any concerns about lodging, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Special accommodations are subject to availability and are first come, first served. We do our best to accommodate special requests, but may not be able to meet every request. We thank you for your understanding!
Registration will open when Denver venue is confirmed. Sign up for our mailing list to learn more.